York River District Clergy Association (YRDCA)
The Purpose of the YRDCA is to facilitate the connectional support and mutual care among the entire York River District Clergy Community.
- Note the emphasis on facilitating instead of forcing.
- Typically, this will be done by providing opportunities for worship, fellowship, prayer, through peer learning groups and large group gatherings.
- The Clergy Community includes active, retired, and on-leave clergy residing in this district and to some degree their families as well.
What does the YRDCA do?
- Welcome Picnic
- Subsidizes for all and provides a welcome meal for new to the district clergy and their family
- Gatherings and Clergy Retreats
- Subsidizes the event in addition to providing refreshments
- Clergy Farewell Event
- Gift Cards to those retiring or moving
- Subsidizes the event
Supports and is intentional in the care of our brother and sister clergy. The Clergy Association provides a financial gift in the following circumstances:
- Death of a family member, parent or in-law
- Birth of Child (within appointed clergy family)
- Clergy Major Health Crisis (Hospitalized for major illness or surgery versus Outpatient)
In addition, we have established a Chaplain Team to support clergy in the time of crisis or need.
2019 YRDCA Servant Leader Positions and Responsibilities
Coordinator – Facilitate servant leader meetings
Program Lead – Communicates with venues and facilitate setup for gatherings
Treasurer – Finances and cards for gifts
Secretary – Records and distributes meeting notes
Chaplain Coordinator – Upon request by the District Superintendent, the Chaplain Coordinator facilitates / assigns District Chaplains to members of the YRD Clergy Community in need of pastoral care.
This Year’s Clergy Gatherings
PURPOSE: To be further equipped to provide positive leadership in the midst of “times like these.”
We began this overarching purpose last year and spent much time gathered around tables in conversation and learning. We named “times like these” to be the complex times we see for the future of the Church, our denomination, and our world situation. Our topics have been selected by clergy. We will be continuing this work together in this new annual conference year.
DATES AND TIMES FOR CLERGY GATHERINGS
Thursday, March 21st from 9:15am – 12:30pm in the Sanctuary at Crooks Memorial UMC. 204 Cook Road in Yorktown.
***Please be advised there is another large event at the church that morning. Additional parking is located on the backside of the church. You'll find this by turning left upon entering the parking lot and discovering it wraps around the building. If entering from the backside, you'll find double doors near the sanctuary (all glass breezeway).
This all clergy event will help us not only encounter the struggles we face, but create space to learn from one another as we reflect on our leadership in the midst of a divisive time in the UMC.
As many experienced in the past 1.5 years, we gathered regularly as colleagues to discuss how we were leading and engaging our congregations leading up to General Conference, including ways in which we cared for ourselves. It is time to gather once again to be in fellowship, offer support, learn from one another, and name what is needed.
On the 21st, we will engage in dialogue around where we find ourselves, our congregations, and the needs for our leadership as we move ahead following the decisions of GC.
Gathering and fellowship starting at 9:15am, session will begin at 9:30am. We will conclude no later than 12:30pm.
**Hosted by the York River District Clergy Association
Tuesday, June 4th, 10am - Clergy Farewell Worship and Lunch at Crooks Memorial UMC.